Dunabar

Strikes that could enhance WW3 - Heavy Weapons

Hey Folks

Time to start a new suggestion series and this time around I will be covering Strikes that I think could enhance the game. For any new People that just got here, what I do is I try to find different Military (or bare minimum Law Enforcement) grade Weapons, Gadgets, Equipment, and etc...to propose to the Developers to add to the game at some point if they choose to. While this can be very easily be seen as a wish list of sorts, I personally do not consider them a wish list in the most traditional sense because I do not seek to see things added just for the sake of cool, but rather because I think it could enhance the game in a meaningful way for one or more play styles. Naturally not everyone will agree which is just the way of life and ultimately it is up to the Developers in the end to make that final call to add, remove, modify, and etc things in the game that I suggest.

So to start off this new suggestion series, I will be kicking things off with a new category of Strikes I'm calling Heavy Weapons. Because this is a new category of weaponry & Strike, I will need to cover all the bases from what exactly is a heavy weapon, how it should be deployed in game, and etc etc...So, lets start things off simply with what I'm categorizing as Heavy Weapons for WW3 in this particular context.

What are Heavy Weapons?

A Heavy Weapon is a weapon that can be used on a Infantry scale, but is far too heavy to use like a normal Infantry weapon such as Shotguns, Assault Rifles, Battle Rifles, and etc. These Weapons require their user to spend a considerable amount of time deploying the weapon, but in turn allows themselves, their team, or possibly an enemy player access to a very powerful weapon designed to either destroy Infantry, Ground Vehicles, Air Vehicles, and the likes. These weapons come in multiple forms ranging from Heavy Machine Guns, to Mortars, Anti-Tank Weapons, and more.

Now while several weapons can fit under the category of Heavy Weapons, I'm primarily going to stick with weapons that don't require the assistance of a Vehicle to move around the map (initial deployment excluded) and it can be supported by one soldier even if realistically it would be a two to three man (or more) job. So, this brings us to the next part of this post, how should deployment/movement of these weapons work?

Deployment & Redeployment

Now with what exactly Heavy Weapons are, the next stage of suggestion is how to deploy them in game, and this is (in my mind given I'm just using the current mechanics we have) the easy part of the suggestion post as I think It should work as followed.

1. A Weapons container is deployed via Helicopter Drone like some strikes are currently deployed to the Battlefield.
  2. Upon the player walking up to the Weapons Container they should have to hit the F key to interact with the container, at which point their character will suffer a minor movement penalty while they seek a place to deploy the weapon they just picked up.
  3. When looking to a Deploy their Heavy Weapon, the Player should be required to find a relatively flat enough spot to deploy the weapon itself. If the Player is killed setting up the weapon, the weapon should automatically be destroyed in the process.
  4. Once the Player has found a spot, the Character should go through a animation to actually deploy the weapon itself (also the other way around when they seek to move the Heavy Weapon to redeploy it.)
  5. Depending on the Weapon they're deploying determines the times it takes for the Weapon to be fully setup for use or vice versa.

As for how how to destroy the enemy Heavy weapons, well they're not tanks so generally anything should overall work against them from Bullets, Explosions, IFVs, AFVs, MBTs, Hellfire missiles, and etc etc..

Simple and straight forward in my personal opinion. But, what Heavy Weapons can the player choose to deploy? Well, here are my suggestions for Heavy Weapons.

Heavy Weapon Strikes

#1. M2 Browning

image.thumb.jpeg.65bbe87b4098c17a31cff3e71e515243.jpeg

- The M2 Browning or "Ma Deuce" has been present on many battlefields throughout history, designed towards the end of WW1, the M2 Browning saw extensive usage during WW2 and still has found it's way on the modern battlefield in the War in Afghanistan, Siege of Marawi, 2017 Iraqi-Kurdish Conflict, and others in between. Currently the M2 Browning serves as the 2nd longest serving weapon in the United States Military Inventory next to the venerable M1911 and has been used by well over 50+ different countries besides the United States. It has been used by Canada, Brazil, Germany, Iraq, Finland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Venezuela, Turkey, Tunisia, Norway, Peru, Serbia, Libya, Latvia, Iran, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkmenistan, and many more.

Real Life Stats

Proposed in-game Stats

• Type: Heavy Machine Gun
  • BP cost: 1000
  • Recoil: 1.45
  • Spread: 0.35
  • Reload time: 6 seconds
  • RPM: 450
  • Caliber: 12.7x99mm
  • Muzzle Velocity: 600
  • Ammunition Capacity: 200
  • Top Damage Range: 0-125 Meters
  • Damage Drop off Range: 126-450 Meters
  • Health: 300
  • Deployment time: 6 seconds

Heavy Machine Gun General Information

Heavy Machine Guns in general should be effective against Infantry, Light Vehicles, UGVs, & the Helicopter Drone. However, it's effectiveness against IFVs, AFVs, & MBTs is exceptionally low to prevent the weapon from being cheap in terms of BP cost & effective against all types of threats. They should be fairly cheap, large ammunition capacity, and fastest firing all of Heavy Weapons.

#2. MK19 Grenade Launcher

image.jpeg.7a9ae8f4dbef9f5e35856e144db9504a.jpeg

- Developed during the Vietnam War, the MK19 (Mark 19) was originally determined to be unreliable and unsafe till it was modified to the modern Mod 3 in 1976. In 1983 the U.S Army adopted the MK19 and remains in service to the present day in the U.S Army. However, other countries such as Iraq Morocco, Egypt, Poland, Italy, Honduras, Croatia, Australia, Taiwan, and more. The 40x53mm round has proven itself capable not just against Infantry, but also IFVs & Armored Personnel Carriers.

Real Life Stats

Proposed in-game Stats

• Type: Heavy Grenade Launcher
  • BP cost: 1600
  • Recoil: 1.60
  • Spread: 0.55
  • Reload time: 10 seconds
  • RPM: 60
  • Caliber: 40x53mm Grenade Round
  • Muzzle Velocity: 200
  • Ammunition Capacity: 48
  • Top Damage Range: Unlimited
  • Damage Drop off Range: Unlimited
  • Deployment time: 8 seconds

Heavy Grenade Launchers General Information

Heavy Grenade Launchers in general should be effective against Infantry, Light Vehicles, UGVs, IFVs, AFVs and Destructible Cover. However, it's effectiveness against MBT & Helicopter Drones should be very mild to non-effective against them. They should be one of the more expensive Heavy weapons to field, moderate rate of fire, small radius of splash damage, and overall provide very destructive firepower against all but the hardest of targets if the gunner is able to land their shots properly.

#3. L16 81mm Mortar

image.jpeg.90877492ee1066cecbffbf238228186e.jpeg

- The L16 81mm Mortar is currently the standard mortar for British Armed Forces and was a joint design between the UK & Canada. Introduced in 1965/66 to replace the Ordance ML 3 Inch Mortar in UK services where it's used by the British Army, Royal Marines, & RAF Regiment. Outside of the UK the weapon has found it's way into the arsenals of the United States, Nepal, Malta, Syria, Yemen, Austria, Brazil, India, Japan, and other Nations around the world.

Real Life Stats

• Origin: United Kingdom/Canada
  • Weight: 35.3 KG or 77.8 LB
  • Recoil: N/A
  • Spread: N/A
  • Reload time: N/A
  • RPM: 15-20
  • Calibers: 81mm
  • Muzzle Velocity: 225m/s or 738ft/s
  • Ammunition Capacity: 1
  • Special Features: Arcing Fire
  • Effective Range: 100 meters or 109 Yards
  • Maximum Range: 5,675 meters or 6,206 Yards
  • Info 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L16_81mm_mortar
  • Info 2: N/A

Proposed in-game Stats

• Type: Mortar
  • BP cost: 1300
  • Recoil: 0
  • Spread: 0.45
  • Reload time: 7.5 seconds
  • RPM: 7
  • Caliber: 81mm
  • Muzzle Velocity: 225
  • Deployment time: 10 seconds

Mortar General Information

Mortars in general should be effective against Infantry, Light Vehicles, UGVs, IFVs, AFVs and Destructible Cover. However, it's effectiveness against MBT & Helicopter Drones should be very mild to non-effective against them. While the Mortar has the ability to deliver far more destructive power than the Heavy Grenade Launcher, it's very small magazine size, indirect fire, and inaccuracy make it a hard weapon to effectively use without some degree of teamwork or information gathering to know where to generally shoot the mortar. However, Mortars should be very prone to Friendly Fire if the shooter isn't careful.

#4. 9K111 Fagot

image.jpeg.aa9c672fdd8095369629e1230a8425fb.jpeg

- The 9k111 Fagot (Bassoon) is a second-generation tube-launched SACLOS wire-guided anti-tank missile system of the Soviet Union to be used from the Ground or Vehicle mounts. NATO reporting name is the AT-4 Spigot, the weapon system was designed by the Tula Machinery Design Bureau (Tula KBP) starting in 1962, and entered service in 1970 where it currently stands in active service with Russia armed forces. Outside of Russia however, the weapon system has found it's way into the hands of Poland & Slovakia for a time, Iran, Greece, Libya, Finland, Georgia, Vietnam, Unkraine,  Serbia, Armenia, Afghanistan, Cuba, Croatia, and other nations around the world.

Real Life Stats

Proposed in-game Stats

• Type: ATGM Launcher
  • BP cost: 2000
  • Recoil: 0.35
  • Spread: 0.3
  • Reload time: 13 Seconds
  • RPM: 4
  • Caliber: 120mm HEAT
  • Muzzle Velocity: 200
  • Deployment time: 14 seconds

ATGM Launcher General Information

ATGM Launcher should be highly effective against all Vehicle Types as this is what the weaponry was designed to combat against. However, the weaponry should not be as effective against infantry (in terms of general performance, not outright damage) as the Missiles being on the slower side means they can be dodged by Infantry. Couple this with the fact that ATGM Launchers should be the most expensive of the Heavy Weapons, has the slowest reload speed, and requires a slightly more delicate touch to ensure the hit lands on target.

Because this is a new Strike suggestion, I'm not entirely sure how far (if at all) the Developers would want to run with this, or if they would even want to entertain the concept of multiple options for the different heavy weapons. If they would like to go that far, here are a few extra weapons that could be possibly considered.

• Kord 6P50 Heavy Machine Gun out of Russia
  • GWG Grenade Launcher out of Germany
  • M-81 Mortar out of Poland
  • BGM-71 ATGM Launcher out of the United States
  • AGS-30 Grenade Launcher out of Russia
  • Type-77 Heavy Machine Gun out of China
  • MILAN ATGM Launcher out of France / West Germany
  • 50MG Heavy Machine Gun out of Singapore

There are other choices in the world, these are just some that I found that could possibly make for decent option choices if the Developers wish offer alternative options for Heavy Weapon Strikes. Now at this point you would think I'm ready to wrap up the post. But, I actually have one more thing I'd like to cover and that is customization options for Heavy Weapons.

Heavy Weapon Customization

Unlike the regular guns we use in game, Heavy Weapons should have a few different options for customization, but only a small handful of universal options that go across the difference types of heavy weapons. So, I will break this list down by each weapon type.

Suggested Heavy Machine Gun Customization options

• Special Options
    • Remote Controlled System (300 BP Increase) - Allows the owner to fire their Heavy Weapon without manning it. However, the weapon is no longer able to be crewed. Disables sight options.
    • Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) (700 BP Increase) - Converts the Heavy Weapon to an automated Heavy Weapons platform that targets hostile Infantry & Vehicles. However, the weapon is no longer able to be crewed, cannot be controlled by it's original owner, and the weapon will not attempt to fire outside of it's effective range. Limited to a 90 degree field of view for automatic targeting. Disables Armor plating options.
  • Support
    • Low-Tripod - Keeps the weapon low to the ground to make the gunner a smaller target. Disables Armor Plating Options.
    • Heavy Tripod - Allows the weapon to be fired over objects that may have normally been blocking them.
  • Sights
    • Stock Iron Sights
    • Holographic Sight
    • M145 Scope (4x)
    • Telescoptic (6x) sight
    • Infrared (6x) Telescopic Sight
  • Armor Plating
    • Shield (200 BP increase) - Fixes a frontal armor shielding to protect the crew member & weapon from all but the largest caliber of weaponry. Reduces rotation speed, deployment & Redployment time increased by 4 seconds, and disables IFF option.
  • Ammunition
    • FMJ
    • HP
    • AP

Suggested Grenade Launcher Customization options

• Special Options
    • Remote Controlled System (300 BP Increase) - Allows the owner to fire their Heavy Weapon without manning it. However, the weapon is no longer able to be crewed. Disables sight options.
    • Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) (700 BP Increase) - Converts the Heavy Weapon to an automated Heavy Weapons platform that targets hostile Infantry & Vehicles. However, the weapon is no longer able to be crewed, cannot be controlled by it's original owner, and the weapon will not attempt to fire outside of it's effective range. Limited to a 90 degree field of view for automatic targeting. Disables Armor plating options.
  • Support
    • Low-Tripod - Keeps the weapon low to the ground to make the gunner a smaller target. Disables Armor Plating Options.
    • Heavy Tripod - Allows the weapon to be fired over objects that may have normally been blocking them.
  • Sights
    • Stock Iron Sights
    • Holographic Sight
    • M145 Scope (4x)
    • Telescoptic (6x) sight
  • Armor Plating
    • Shield (200 BP increase) - Fixes a frontal armor shielding to protect the crew member & weapon from all but the largest caliber of weaponry. Reduces rotation speed, deployment & Redployment time increased by 4 seconds, and disables IFF option.
  • Ammunition
    • Air burst
    • High Explosive
    • Armor-piercing

Suggested Mortar Customization Options

• Special Options
    • Remote Controlled System (300 BP Increase) - Allows the owner to fire their Heavy Weapon without manning it. However, the weapon is no longer able to be crewed.
  • Sights
    • None (Uses a propped guidance system with a real time map to direct their fire)
  • Ammunition
    • Air burst
    • High Explosive
    • Phosphorus
    • Illumination - Would only add if Night Maps are a plan in the future.
    • Smoke

Suggested ATGM Launcher Customization Options

• Special Options
  • Support
  • Sights
    • Stock (2x) Optical Sights
    • (4x) Optical Sight
    • (6x) Telescopic Sight
  • Armor Plating
    • Half-Plate (100 BP increase) - Fixes a small section of armor plating to protect the lower body of the crew member from all but the highest calibers of weapons.
  • Ammunition
    • HEAT
    • Tandem HEAT (200 BP increase)

and now to wrap this long post up, I have one final suggestion, and that is the new gadget type I had hinted at in my "5 Gadgets that could enhance WW3" post. The Gadget is simply called Heavy Ammunition Pack and it's used to restock the Ammunition supply of the Heavy Weapons. So, if a Player wants to be a dedicated Heavy Weapons user, or resupply their automated turret/friendly turret, they have the option to pick up this gadget (naturally at the cost of not taking a Medical, Ammunition, or Equipment bag), and can resupply a Heavy Weapon Platform by simply hitting a key on their keyboard to give the platform their ammunition supply. The Heavy Ammunition Pack should have a 30 second respawn timer as well, this way it makes it a little more worth it for the player taking it. As for how much ammo the pack gives, I would say enough for at least 2 Magazines of HMG, 2 Magazines for the Grenade Launcher, 2 rounds for the Mortar, and 2 rounds for the ATGM Launcher. But, ultimately it's all up to the developers in the end regardless of how you flip everything.

With all of that out of the way, it's time to bring this post to an end before it gets even more massive than it is. Like any suggestion post I make folks, it's ultimately up to the Developers to give them the pass to be added to the game. I merely make the suggestion, what they choose to do with it is up to them. So, don't get overly "REEEEEEEEEEE" at me if I gave you a case of Gamer PTSD flashbacks over these suggested Strike Weapons, or if you don't like the idea of long deployment times on weapons that are NOT intended to be used in a very aggressive manner, but rather in a defensive position.

If you wish to read my other suggestion posts links will be down below and like usual here is your hint for my next "Strikes that could enhance WW3" post where I will be covering CUAS drones.

image.jpeg.a9327c91a4148c62cf3f2e23d05f7b02.jpeg

Have a good one folks!

Links to my other Individual Suggestion Posts & Suggestion Series posts

Guns that could enhance WW3 series

Strikes that could enhance WW3 series

Individual or Mini Series Suggestions post

Edited by Dunabar
Fixing derps
  • Like 5

If I had one complaint it's that you specifically suggest the grenade launcher having a small blast radius. Blast radiuses in this game are comically small with what we currently have in the game. Having something that has a small kill radius but a large total blast radius with high drop off would add a new dimension to the game with area denial (along with the upcoming grenade types)

3 hours ago, Zvolteh said:

If I had one complaint it's that you specifically suggest the grenade launcher having a small blast radius. Blast radiuses in this game are comically small with what we currently have in the game. Having something that has a small kill radius but a large total blast radius with high drop off would add a new dimension to the game with area denial (along with the upcoming grenade types)

Only because the Developers have shown a distaste for anything with a large or medium scale blast radius that isn't a Airstrike, Artillery, Fragmentation round of the RPG, or the Thermobaric rounds of the RWS Rocket Pod. Now if they turn around and do that where they give the GL a larger blast radius, it wouldn't bother me one ounce. But, in the end I merely make the suggestion, what the Developers do with it is up to them.

They wanted to give anti infantry equipment like SH shells more purpose by lowering other blast radiuses.

• Like 1