Rivy

Is it the recent patches or influx of new players, or am I just getting really bad?

I've noticed that probably since from possibly between the 0.4-0.6 patches, I can't seem to stay alive as long as I believe I could. I don't exclusively blame TTK tweaks on this, though. Reasons include:

1. Influx of new players: there could have been more new players who are far more proficient in first person shooters than myself that have joined this game. This is despite me having played first person shooters for years.
  2. Networking issues: I think this has been a rather common complaint from everyone ever since this game entered early access. Other issues include hitreg and TTK.
  3. Possible existence of cheaters in the game: I've seen pirate copies of this game come up on a non-Google search engine. I guess some users here feel really cheated to the point that they believe piracy is justified, or they're just cheap and don't really care. I can understand their intentions, but at least they're not giving money to a bigger company that cares far more about their profits than their IP and community, and they should consider that first. The existence of pirate copies of this game leads me to think that incidents of cheating are possible at least in theory, as both would exploit the limitations placed unto this game - i.e. you have to buy it through Steam in order to even play it, and with conventional hardware, there are things that are impossible to do.
  4. My own lack of skill and poor reaction times: I have been out playing other games. I admit I wanted something to do between the long wait between 0.5 and 0.6, but that wasn't as big of a concern for me as events unrelated to World War 3 that pushed me out of the game for a while. One of those games included a PvE shooter through a GTA V mod, so my reaction times have increased. My reaction times have possibly also increased because of a somewhat poorer health from - I don't feel as alert as I maybe used to when I played earlier versions of this game. I think this is annoyingly a thing for me - the longer I play a game, the worse I tend to get with it either out of boredom, out of frustration or something else. Then again, my key issue is being able to stay alive in the presence of enemies even if I play the objective, which has been a constant and almost never-improving issue for me.
  5. Weaponry: Something that still mildly frustrates me is the effectiveness of the weaponry based on its caliber - with a few exceptions, 7.62x39mm appears to me to be the most effective caliber for basically any purpose. I consider 5.56mm rounds to be better mostly than pistol caliber ammunition, especially considering that they are usually placed in assault rifles. Their only advantage compared to pistol caliber ammunition IMO is their long range capability - with pistol caliber ammunition, I'd have to compensate for gravity to a greater extent. Otherwise, both 5.56mm rounds and pistol caliber ammunition seem almost equally as good as each other at short range as long as both are in firearms capable of fully automatic fire - pistols to me are almost pretty much useless. I don't want to be stuck with a few specific set of firearms in case they get nerfed IMO to the point I find them difficult to use effectively in combat and I'm left being laughably ineffective at combat.

I wonder what you guys think of this, especially regarding point 4 where I tend to start getting sloppy at shooting after a while or generally not really improving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rivy said:

I've noticed that probably since from possibly between the 0.4-0.6 patches, I can't seem to stay alive as long as I believe I could. I don't exclusively blame TTK tweaks on this, though. Reasons include:

1. Influx of new players: ...
  2. Networking issues: ...
  3. Possible existence of cheaters in the game: ...
  4. My own lack of skill and poor reaction times: I have been out playing other games. I admit I wanted something to do between the long wait between 0.5 and 0.6, but that wasn't as big of a concern for me as events unrelated to World War 3 that pushed me out of the game for a while. One of those games included a PvE shooter through a GTA V mod, so my reaction times have increased. My reaction times have possibly also increased because of a somewhat poorer health from - I don't feel as alert as I maybe used to when I played earlier versions of this game. I think this is annoyingly a thing for me - the longer I play a game, the worse I tend to get with it either out of boredom, out of frustration or something else. Then again, my key issue is being able to stay alive in the presence of enemies even if I play the objective, which has been a constant and almost never-improving issue for me.
  5. Weaponry: ...

I wonder what you guys think of this, especially regarding point 4 where I tend to start getting sloppy at shooting after a while or generally not really improving.

Interesting points all can be valid, but hard to verify, would like to hear what others have to say.

On point 4:

1. Every major patch, you need to 'relearn' the game. A very blunt example is the difference between Counter Strike & CoD, the 'styles' don't directly translate over. So when a new patch comes in, the weapon you are good/familiar with, may change. So there is a period when you are 'relearning' you may suck for a bit.
  2. Age does effect reaction time. Apparently peaks at 24, then slowly declines.
  3. Health does come into consideration, both physical and mental. Stay hydrated as it helps with focus.
  4. About staying alive in presence of enemies. Maybe it is your play style? It was more viable in previous patches compared to now?

7 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Interesting points all can be valid, but hard to verify, would like to hear what others have to say.

On point 4:

1. Every major patch, you need to 'relearn' the game. A very blunt example is the difference between Counter Strike & CoD, the 'styles' don't directly translate over. So when a new patch comes in, the weapon you are good/familiar with, may change. So there is a period when you are 'relearning' you may suck for a bit.
  2. Age does effect reaction time. Apparently peaks at 24, then slowly declines.
  3. Health does come into consideration, both physical and mental. Stay hydrated as it helps with focus.
  4. About staying alive in presence of enemies. Maybe it is your play style? It was more viable in previous patches compared to now?

I'm 21 years old, so close to that peak. As for my health, I could do with better exercise, sleep and hydration (although I admit I'm unwilling to improve on sleep out of my hate for this time zone and other unrelated reasons), and my mental health seems to be in a bad state too - I can ignore stuff that's worrying me in real life while playing games, but I've generally been quite anxious a lot of the time, sometimes for certain situations I do have legitimate concerns over. 

The lower TTK on average may also play a role too. 

My current go-to weapon, the Beryl, hasn't got so many substantial changes, but I'm trying to play with different guns in case I feel like that gun becomes unusable for me due to its dynamics or from data wipes. If there's anything I can't get used to, it's the reload time of some guns that aren't light machine guns, the lack of damage and/or the excessive recoil for others.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rivy said:

I'm 21 years old, so close to that peak. As for my health, I could do with better exercise, sleep and hydration (although I admit I'm unwilling to improve on sleep out of my hate for this time zone and other unrelated reasons), and my mental health seems to be in a bad state too - I can ignore stuff that's worrying me in real life while playing games, but I've generally been quite anxious a lot of the time, sometimes for certain situations I do have legitimate concerns over. 

The lower TTK on average may also play a role too. 

My current go-to weapon, the Beryl, hasn't got so many substantial changes, but I'm trying to play with different guns in case I feel like that gun becomes unusable for me due to its dynamics or from data wipes. If there's anything I can't get used to, it's the reload time of some guns that aren't light machine guns, the lack of damage and/or the excessive recoil for others.

I like using the Beryl too! I also enjoy using the VEPR this patch.

Nah I completely get where you're coming from. Games are awesome. Unfortunately people don't appreciate the benefits of them.   

We're all gamers here so no need to explain further. ? However there are some other benefits you may not know:

https://www.polygon.com/2013/1/30/3932876/research-playing-first-person-shooters-improves-learning-abilities-cognitive-function

I hope your health improves. All those factors are linked. I notice when one factor is out of rhythm, it effects the other factors too, creating a negative cycle which is tough to break out of. 

• Exercise
  • Sleep
  • Relaxation
  • Diet 

(Effecting my performance in both gaming & real life)

If you're interested in some further reading check out these 2 books.

"Why we Sleep" by Matthew Walker

(JR video clip with the Author) https://www.instagram.com/p/BvmtiT3lzBl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

"4 Pillar plan" by Dr Chatterjee

His instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvBQqholobe/

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Rivy said:

I have noticed this as well, although if I focus on kills, I can still get top of the board, but it has become inconsistent, and I believe the culprit is the gun play. I am part of the people that think 0.2-0.3 gun play was vastly superior to the current one. Recoil, spread, as well as armor have become a messy pile of nothing. Armor is useless, so 99% of players equip the lightest just to be fast, recoil has been turned into an absolute mess with this kicking side to side, even when you try to control the weapon by countering the tilt, whether you are using LMG or SMG or AR, it is there, and it forces you to use tap fire, which itself is much less accurate and responsive than before. It's just a hideous recoil system, blatantly making the guns kick autisticly right and left to force players to use bursts, which players were already using. Spread has also become worse, and it is mostly caused by the bad recoil, you can aim at a torso down range, and most of your shots will hit limbs somehow, although you aimed right down the chest. 

Edited by Artaxiad300062

7 hours ago, Artaxiad300062 said:

I have noticed this as well, although if I focus on kills, I can still get top of the board, but it has become inconsistent, and I believe the culprit is the gun play. I am part of the people that think 0.2-0.3 gun play was vastly superior to the current one. Recoil, spread, as well as armor have become a messy pile of nothing. Armor is useless, so 99% of players equip the lightest just to be fast, recoil has been turned into an absolute mess with this kicking side to side, even when you try to control the weapon by countering the tilt, whether you are using LMG or SMG or AR, it is there, and it forces you to use tap fire, which itself is much less accurate and responsive than before. It's just a hideous recoil system, blatantly making the guns kick autisticly right and left to force players to use bursts, which players were already using. Spread has also become worse, and it is mostly caused by the bad recoil, you can aim at a torso down range, and most of your shots will hit limbs somehow, although you aimed right down the chest. 

I hate the DMG's recoil pattern and increased reload speed. I find myself using the gun as much as I use pistols, since they're about as effective as each other in combat - the pistols' only other setback is semi-auto fire.

I also do agree that the armor feels meaningless.

10 hours ago, Rivy said:

I hate the DMG's recoil pattern and increased reload speed. I find myself using the gun as much as I use pistols, since they're about as effective as each other in combat - the pistols' only other setback is semi-auto fire.

I also do agree that the armor feels meaningless.

There is also a bunch of people talking about TTD problems. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My main problem is poor performance of my hardware (i'm far from smooth runing w.w. 3 game)  if i manage to reach stable running game everything is possible no doubt ! i experience it in every scenario around 50-times in the past ( i'm optimization perfectionist ) the smooth,stable fps,tearing free,lowest input lag game is the key.

The optimizations make you easy to survive every situation without sweat by any mean because you can see and react as much as possible in virtual world.

Sorry for my bad English.

Edited by Hypnotic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hypnotic said:

My main problem is poor performance of my hardware (i'm far from smooth runing w.w. 3 game)  if i manage to reach stable running game everything is possible no doubt ! i experience it in every scenario around 50-times in the past ( i'm optimization perfectionist ) the smooth,stable fps,tearing free,lowest input lag game is the key.

The optimizations make you easy to survive every situation without sweat by any mean because you can see and react as much as possible in virtual world.

Sorry for my bad English.

I do notice that I can play a bit better with settings turned down, but the changes are still insignificant. I've played with the game locked at 35 FPS and motion blur enabled, and have still managed decent performance in those games.

Posted (edited)

From my experience the blur function only gimmicks ( masquerade ) the imperfection of the motions ( stuttering,tearing....) also degrease your accuracy,range and orientation in 3D space :) i hope i not sound too much scientifically .

Edited by Hypnotic

1 hour ago, Hypnotic said:

From my experience the blur function only gimmicks ( masquerade ) the imperfection of the motions ( stuttering,tearing....) also degrease your accuracy,range and orientation in 3D space :) i hope i not sound too much scientifically .

I have used exactly that to mask the stuttering. Why did I lock my game to 35 FPS in the first place? To have a more consistent frame rate, and because I thought it looked far more realistic than 60 FPS in my opinion (probably because growing up, I haven't really seen many things requiring a 60 FPS frame rate, also I guess as a console gamer too). But I can see your point - excessive motion blur can be bad for combat effectiveness. However, I'd rather put up with that much of the time over stuttering, which I find really distracting.

On 6/5/2019 at 1:21 AM, Rivy said:

I've noticed that probably since from possibly between the 0.4-0.6 patches, I can't seem to stay alive as long as I believe I could. I don't exclusively blame TTK tweaks on this, though.

well, same here. But I see few other reasons:

some kind of weapon rebalance which forces you to relearn shooting and use other weapons: in 0.4 I played AK-15, then it got nerfed, i switched to Beryl in 0.5. Then 7.62 got nerfed, so i had to switch to other weapons. First days of 0.6 were terrible for me (k/d~2.0-2.5) - i thought I became a totally noob. Now its almost the same as before (3.5 now, in 0.4 it was almost 4.0). 

the second reason is not evident but I noticed that I started getting killed by headshot too often in 0.6. There is nothing about enlarging head collision box in patchnotes, but I feel its here.

yesterday i noticed that both teams, besides doing pretty well, had bad k/D ratios. Even the top3 players in both teams hardly managed to stay above a positive ratio.
What bothers me is that its almost impossible to build a nice setup with heavy armor. Most of the time you're quickly overload and have to choose light armor plate at least.
TTK and Armor doesnt seem to fit properly imo and i hope they somehow rework their concept, because right now some matches become very frustrating due to TTK, sometiimes very bad hitregestration or lag and recently more often unbalanced teams.