Sign in to follow this  
Rivy

Soldier quotes

I like the quotes you have added - some are useful for gameplay, such with soldiers expressing their request for ammunition, health or capturing an objective. Some are just downright hilarious, e.g. "fuck you in particular" and "still alive, fuckhead!", the latter after being hit by a grenade.

One quote that I am confused with is this one: "there used to be a sword like that". I find it quite peculiar because I don't see any bladed weapons in this game. I'd love to know where this came from, if it references anything in particular.

Well I do believe there are 2 references to "Monty python and the holy grail" from the British voice over.

- "What re you gonna do, bleed on me?" When killing someone (black knight scene).

- "One Two, Five" when throwing a grenade (Holy hand grenade of Antioch scene).

So maybe the sword one is also a reference from somewhere.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DeWa95 said:

Well I do believe there are 2 references to "Monty python and the holy grail" from the British voice over.

- "What re you gonna do, bleed on me?" When killing someone (black knight scene).

the only "sword" quote from there I can recall is about voting for the king 

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DeWa95 said:

Awesome and sneaky on the part of the devs. The last time I believe I saw overt references to other IP when playing games was in Cities: Skylines, with references to Half-Life (Freeman) and even Doom (UAC).

Edited by Rivy
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Atway said:

the only "sword" quote from there I can recall is about voting for the king 

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government

Maybe it's not from the same movie, something else perhaps?

1 hour ago, Rivy said:

Awesome and sneaky on the part of the devs. The last time I believe I saw overt references to other IP when playing games was in Cities: Skylines, with references to Half-Life (Freeman) and even Doom (UAC).

It's always nice to see people paying homage to the classics. Which voice over says that btw? I don't seem to recall that.

I do appreciate the little humor the devs added,  it adds a bit of life or depth to the game. I hope in the future they decide to add some kind of lore Easter eggs or somethings like that to add a little depth, would be interesting.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2019 at 10:02 PM, Rivy said:

I like the quotes you have added - some are useful for gameplay, such with soldiers expressing their request for ammunition, health or capturing an objective. Some are just downright hilarious, e.g. "fuck you in particular" and "still alive, fuckhead!", the latter after being hit by a grenade.

One quote that I am confused with is this one: "there used to be a sword like that". I find it quite peculiar because I don't see any bladed weapons in this game. I'd love to know where this came from, if it references anything in particular.

When is the quote said?

On 6/6/2019 at 5:02 AM, Rivy said:

"there used to be a sword like that."

I've heard that after getting a claymore mine kill so I'm pretty sure he is referring to the medieval sword called a claymore.

2014-william-wallace-claymore-sword.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NeoOrNeon said:

claymore

btw havent checked English voiceover but in Russian when you place a claymore mine the soldier says "You shall not pass!" in Russian :D And place the mine with animation like Gandalf :D

• Haha 2

Hey, nice to see people noticed our jokes ^^

We've got language specific jokes as well, a lot of the in polish voiceovers, since it's the easiest for us to make them. Once we add challenges and achievements you can expect a lot more of those :)

And yeah, the claymore joke is just that - it's also a sword ^^

• Like 3

On 6/6/2019 at 8:23 PM, DeWa95 said:

It's always nice to see people paying homage to the classics. Which voice over says that btw? I don't seem to recall that.

They're in the Chirper posts for the Cities: Skylines thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just reading this thread and fearing for dear momma until I saw someone finally answered with the sword.

• Like 1

I've also heard someone from another thread complain particularly about the poor quality localization of the Russian language interface, claiming that it's been pulled off of Google Translate. Relating to this, I would like to know if such an issue is apparent too during gameplay with the soldier quotes, especially for languages that aren't English or Polish.

As someone who has been learning some Russian, I am curious to know about the accuracy of the Russian soldier quotes mentioned during gameplay. One notable phrase I've heard is "здесь патроны", whenever I hand out ammo in the game. At least according to some Duolingo lessons (and a few other places I've browsed online), a more appropriate phrase I think would have been "вот патроны". Does the World War 3 game community have any comments on this?

Posted (edited)
33 минуты назад, Rivy сказал:

I've also heard someone from another thread complain particularly about the poor quality localization of the Russian language interface, claiming that it's been pulled off of Google Translate. Relating to this, I would like to know if such an issue is apparent too during gameplay with the soldier quotes, especially for languages that aren't English or Polish.

As someone who has been learning some Russian, I am curious to know about the accuracy of the Russian soldier quotes mentioned during gameplay. One notable phrase I've heard is "здесь патроны", whenever I hand out ammo in the game. At least according to some Duolingo lessons (and a few other places I've browsed online), a more appropriate phrase I think would have been "вот патроны". Does the World War 3 game community have any comments on this?

Russian VO is pretty well done. "Вот патроны"(Vot patrony) is pretty much personalized message. It's like there is missed word "держи" that means "grab" in this situation. In English it can be pronounced as "Here is ammo", with missed word it'll be "Here, grab (your) ammo", when "Здесь патроны"  is like shouting in the air "Ammo is HERE".

I didn't find anything wrong with russian VO in WW3. And all taunts and jokes make u smile. In comparison with BF3 VO it's simply night and day.

But in the same time it's pretty much fair to call UI localization "google-translated"

If there will be need with fixing it I'm always ready to help.

Edited by tynblpb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rivy said:

I've also heard someone from another thread complain particularly about the poor quality localization of the Russian language interface, claiming that it's been pulled off of Google Translate

thats true. And it starts right after you want to change the language, where "Российский (язык)" is used instead of "Русский (язык)". The difference is that the first one is about something which belongs to Russia as a state (e.g Russian passport/citizenship/army), while the latter is about something, which belongs to nation (e.g Russian language/folklore/mindset)

As for Russian VO in the game its pretty nice. I`d say the best I heard in games: nice jokes, taunts, bad language.

And as for "здесь патроны"  or "вот патроны" , the first one is correct too, but the second one if prefferable in case when YOU give it and say "ammo! here you go!", while "здесь патроны"  (ammo overhere) sounds like you`ve found it and marked for allies

• Like 2